1. Possibly Alfwin, who went on to be Bishop of Wells (died 998).
2. William Rufus 1056-1100, third son of William the Conqueror and Matilda of Flanders, was crowned William II in 1087. Sometimes known as The Red King or William the Red, because of his ruddy complexion.
3. Henry 1 King of England 1100 -1135. The youngest and most able of William the Conqueror's sons, Henry strengthened the crown's executive powers and modernised royal administration.
4. The use here of the term 'Manor' describes the land, buildings and church. An Advowson is a church living, granted to the rector.
5. The old bridge over Swift Ditch, on the Abingdon to Culham Road, was built in 1416, and upon it is a plaque acknowledging a Civil War skirmish in 1645.
6. The North Field is mentioned a number of times in this document. It is the field to both the south & north of the Sutton Road, stretching as far south as Moor ditch.
7. Admiral John Benbow (1653-1702) joined the Royal Navy aged 25 years, seeing action against Algerian pirates before leaving and joining the merchant navy where he traded until the Glorious Revolution of 1688, whereupon he returned to the Royal Navy and was commissioned. Benbow fought against France during the Nine Years War, serving on and later commanding several English vessels and taking part in the battles of Beachy Head, Barfleur and La Hogue in 1690 and 1692. He went on to achieve fame during campaigns against SalÃ© and Moor pirates; laying siege to Saint-Malo; and fighting in the West Indies against France during the War of the Spanish Succession. He died in action in 1702.
8. The pub in Milton has had many names; The Dog Inn, The Red Lion, The Admiral Benbow and, since 2013, The Plum Pudding, named after an ancient Oxfordshire breed of pig.
9. Some of these fences exist to this day, just passed the Bungalows on the southern side of Pembroke Lane.
10. Potash was the name given to area at the southern end of Milton High Street (see map) just before the railway crossing, roughly where the car park to Milton Stores is now located. In 1927 'Potash' comprised several road-side cottages and a bicycle shop which also sold petrol. The image on one of the previous ages shows the petrol pumps quite clearly. This was run by the Grove Family, and many in the village today remember Winston & Freda Grove, the last owners of the bicycle shop.
11. The 6 bells mentioned in this document were replaced with 8 new bells in approx 2005. The new bells were cast in the same Whitechapel foundry in as original bells were cast in the 18th century.
12. Stonemasons Cottage is the house on the corner of High Street and Sutton Road. It was the home of Humphrey Cooper, who was the last Stonemason in the village and whose family carved many of the
tombstones in the churchyard for over 200 years.
13. Potash is potassium compound typically used in the production of fertilizer.
14. A cast iron road bridge replaced a level crossing in 1907. It was supplemented by an additional modern bridge in 1972 to serve Milton Park. The old cast iron bridge was replaced in 2012.
15. Milton was in North Berkshire until 1971, when it was 'transferred' to South Oxfordshire.
16. The Tadpole Feast is now held on the last Saturday in June.